Wednesday 14 March 2007

Meeting McInnerny

How ironic is this - I've been invited to a party (with my parents), by their friend, whose sister just so happens to be married to no other than... Tim McInnerny. And if I remember correctly, I was only writing about him here on this blog last week. What a fabulous chance to get drunk with him and persuade to give me an interview. I'd be very stupid not to jump on the opportunity.

I want to ask him about being the bit-part player, how it feels to have been in many a big movie, but never quite reaching lead man status (apart from Severance I guess). I've done some research, and I found out that McInnerny left Black Adder because he was worried about being type cast - but pretty much every role he's played since then, he's been a slightly different reincarnation of Percy. A bumbling, classically eccentric English man. Not that there is anything wrong with that, he suites that character to a tee. But I can't help wondering if he craves a bigger role, or if he just waiting to take himself and us by surprise? Maybe he's secretly craving to play a serial killer or Doctor Who, I can't wait to ask him what he's got up his sleeve. There must be something there, waiting to rustle some Hollywood feathers.

I'm back in Somerset for three weeks, two of which will be spent in Bristol, reading scripts for Calling The Shots. I'm also supposed to be reviewing a gig at the Bridgwater Palace (band called Babyhead), and working on my MA proposal. There's also bloc (www.bloc-online.com) artwork to create, business cards to make and two features to culminate. It ain't gunna be easy, it certainly ain't gunna be much of a 'break', but I'm quite used to working like Paul Daniels on speed now - so I won't complain.

My parents friend John is a bit of a geezer, he knows people who know people and he's a bit of a media bitch. I asked him last night, if he'd give me Julien Temple's (Big Film Director) number, but he declined - saying he thought he'd have enough press by now! That's fair enough, but should I persist with it? I know another of mum and dad's friend's who'd quite happily divulge that information. I want to get as many interviews as possible whilst I'm in the hood, and there are certainly enough eccentric characters to go around there.

I've met Julien before, when I was very young - but now as my interest in film seems to be becoming more than an obsession, it would be amazing to talk to him about what he does best. He's got a new film out soon, about Joe Strummer from the Clash (who he was good friends with), so it would be a highly topical interview. But maybe John's right, maybe he's too busy to talk to a (semi) professional writer, who happens to be the daughter of a friend of a friend. I'll going to give it a go, but I've got a feeling it may have to wait till I've found my feet in the world.

But, you know - Tim McInnerny will certainly do for now, and maybe he's got a host of famous friends he's dying to introduce to me....

(Excited face) My website www.hollywicks.co.uk is now live on the internet, so go have a look - now.