Monday 23 April 2007

Nearly there

I've been slaving away at Tim's profile all day now, and I think it's nearly ready to become someone else's property. I wonder what they'll do to it - how much, or how little will change. I've sent a copy for Tim to check over for mistakes, but I don't think he checks his emails, so I won't hold my breath.

The editor at The Stage said to include Tim's top tips for aspiring actors in a box out, and I've been trying to get hold of him to ask some more questions. But I know that he's in the thick of Iago's consciousness and probably isn't thinking about anything else right now. So, I've chopped and changed the piece so that I've got Tim's top tips for playing Iago instead - just in case he doesn't call me back tomorrow.

I also hammered out my business feature this afternoon, and it seems to look OK. The transcript took me a few hours, but I high-lighted all the bits of relevance and wrote a good plan first, and that made it easier to write. It has a good narrative thread, mainly because it's another profile, so it's kind of in a chronological order.

Luckily enough, this profile was easy to set up, as I knew Tom Raffield, (co-founder of sixixis) from my undergraduate days and we quickly settled an interview on Friday. It was lovely to catch up with him and talk about his booming new business (bespoke wooden furniture design). He's just won a the Laurent-Perrier design award and that included a grands worth of prize money and a trip to Champagne. It's amazing that someone the same age as me is enjoying such success, and receiving an enormous amount of press coverage...Vogue, all the national papers, international magazines...but, he says he's still not rich.

It seemed strange that I was on the industry side of the conversation, it was so obvious that Tom had been asked all these questions a hundred times before - he was on auto-pilot. Weird, but it was fun to have a good gossip about the media industry and how it all seems to be run by affluent middle-aged women and people only interested in the next big thing. I hope I can get his profile published, but it's going to be difficult to find a publication that he hasn't featured in...

No comments: