Wednesday 3 October 2007

Backstage

So, I've got another commission with The Stage, this time writing a smaller article for the Backstage section of the magazine. I pitched the idea as another profile, this time writing about Tim McInnerny's partner, Annie Gosney. She started off as a theatre designer and stage manager, then made the transition to producer. She's got some fantastic stories about her trade, and a wealth of advise for aspiring backstagers. Unfortunately, Ken (Freelance editor of Backstage) didn't think a profile was appropriate, so we agreed to change the angle to a more generalized piece about the transition some designers make into the producing side of the business.

I don't have a fixed deadline for this commission, but I wanted to make a start on some research. I found a number of women who had made a similar leap into producing, and wondered if it might be more appropriate to concentrate on the diversity of women's roles in theatre production. I have emailed Ken with this suggestion and await his opinion. I have no idea if this is common practice to chop and change, but I can't imagine it'll be too much of a problem, as this one seems to be a bit more of a relaxed interaction.

I am waiting to hear back from Matilda at the Ecologist about the pitch I sent to her three weeks ago. It's a piece about my friend's bespoke furniture company, sixixis. He makes beautiful sustainable steam-bent wooden furniture in Cornwall, to the very high end of the contemporary design scene. I know Matilda is interested, but I guess she must be caught up with going to press or something.

Another exciting project I'm working on is a kind of publicity mission for the Bridgwater Town Hall rejuvenation project, which is why I'm anxiously writing this in the Engine Room cafe, waiting for my interviewee to arrive...

No comments: