Tuesday 6 October 2009

Seasonal Itchy Feet

What is it about the metamorphosis from Autumn to winter that makes me get itchy feet, desperately in need of a change of scenery or lifestyle? I know I'm by no means the only one who feels like this, but there are certainly a few things I'm working on to metamorphose into a happy winter-dweller.

First - I'm getting fit. Signed up at the gym three weeks ago, and beginning to feel stronger and although the weight isn't exactly dropping off yet, I am enjoying the exertion, near pain of circuits, weights and hardcore cardio.

Secondly, I've got to make a massive decision very soon as to where to spend my winter and spring months. It would be far too easy to head back to the Alps and live in a bubble of hedonistic bliss, now that I have a good friendship base there, work contacts, etc. all it would take to emigrate there once more is enough money for a ski pass and deposit for accommodation. I could kid myself that this time I'd spend more time writing and less time drinking, but seriously, I could get involved in one of the two magazines that are produced in the region as well as writing screenplays from home. I think that as long as I'm not working every evening until 3 in the morning like I did last year, there's hope for the creative juices to flow forth.

My other (much more sensible option!) is to move to Bristol and get work with an independent production company. I'm volunteering at a few film festivals in the South West in the next month or two, so I have the chance to scope out the options, see what kind of jobs are on offer and build more contacts, which may then lead on to job opportunities. It's about time I got a 'proper' job, maybe even enjoy an 'office' environment... and Bristol is an un-pretentious place; smaller than London, yet sharing London's off-beat, artsy community feel. I also have quite a few friends there, so it would not feel like too much of an upheaval for me, the self-proclaimed country bumpkin.

I guess one side of the coin offers fun and frivolity with a dash of character research (also a chance to improve my skiing, learn to snowboard and live in a sublime environment), whilst the other side of the coin offers financial stability, better job opportunities, arts and culture galore... and really, really bad weather! Aghhh, now I remember the main reason why I hate the English winter: mild, rainy, mild, rainy, oh and maybe a dash of dullness thrown in for good measure.

Ok, I think I may have made a decision... ?

No comments: