Thursday 17 May 2012

Doc/Futures

I'm overwhelmed.

After years of skirting around the media industry - not-quite finding my niche, but enjoying the tumultuous ride and various soul-shacking knock-backs: I've finally found my true calling.

Documentary. I love people. I'm curious. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to organising. What does all this tell me? I was born to be a documentary writer/producer/director.

So, thus far, I've dabbled (fairly successfully) in journalism (published in The Stage, The Ecologist, Stranger Magazine), copywriting (commercial clients include: RIBA, KIER Construction, TravelZest), PR (Clients include Barefoot Bride, Rainbow Fitness), short drama (writing/producing/directing/set design/marketing/distribution), commercial video/internet viral production, blogging and Tweeting.

That, coupled with a smidgen of life experience in rather exciting countries (two winter ski seasons in France, one summer in California), and more years than I'd care to admit part-timing in hospitality - well I think it's all stuff that's finally merging to give me a glorious advantageous view point of the world, its exceptionally diverse people and sources to draw on now I'm mature enough to process and reflect on everything I've learnt along the way.

From my hospitality experience I can boast a matrix of odd situations / people / locations that are ripe to be fictionalised or actualized in documentary form, I suppose depending on access to these people and their level of interest or receptivity to either proposition.

From my writing experience - I know I can churn out words at a smart pace, with as much artistic flair or user-friendliness as required. I can pitch, review, analyze, critique and create a tone for whatever audience I'm writing for. Long form or short - I'm undaunted by the variety of briefs I have to tackle, it's all experience and I think my journalist's 'thick-skin' helps me deal with rejection and realise that nothing is ever wasted, there's always another outlet that will more perfectly fit that particular idea. I will find a home for it. (But also know when something's dead in the water - to let it go and move on to pastures new)

It was a strong determination to re-connect with my grandpa two years ago that spurred me on to independent documentary production. 'Prickly Relationship' was born partly through curiosity and partly to re-establish a relationship with a man I'd know well as a child but not as an adult. I approached grandpa Stephen to ask if I could film him talking about his gargantuan Cacti plant collection. What ensued was a deeply moving exploration of a man with a life-long passion for horticulture that is as strong as his religious faith. I'm incredibly proud of the film, and incredibly privileged to have documented/archived one extraordinary man's story before his story is jumbled by old age and infirmity.

Most fittingly, Prickly was screened in Bournemouth (Stephen's home town) a few weeks ago. A proud moment for all the family, even though none of us were able to attend. I'm still touting the film around to festivals and such - but the excessive entry fees make it mean feat.

I felt completely at home interviewing (again, I suppose my journalist background plays a part in being able to strike up a good rapport with contributors), love listening to people's stories and piecing a story together in the edit. My editing skills are not very developed, but I like to think that I know how to construct a documentary narrative, helped by my screenwriting tuition and years of watching/reading drama.

Delightful how it all feeds in together. Love the fluidity and complexity - and that documentary is so outrageously unpredictable, yet you have to predict certain 'plot-points' and be able to adapt to situations that might either take you closer to the drama or inadvertently lead to a dead-end. I suppose, again, as I'm so used to the unpredictability of people in all areas of my work and social life - I know I can cope in any situation, keep a clear head and act diplomatically, or gauge the bigger picture and adapt to support and resolve.

Since making 'Prickly Relationship', I've mentored and developed a few other projects including Brave Face (working closely with award-winning writer/director Peter Snelling)- made teasers for and pitched 'A Stately Facade' at Cornwall Film Festival, Encounters Short Film Fest, DFG Mini-Meet Market, Doc/Futures workshop and even got invited to a meeting with Love Productions who are keen to develop the story further.

I'm beginning to develop a style and savvy that complements my personal outlook on life, and my grasp on the industry is increasing through an avid interest in research and a desire to be at the top of my game when it comes to marketing my work and keeping up with social media to hook an audience.

All this persistence is paying off. I was recently invited to attend a fabulous documentary workshop in Newcastle a few weeks ago (as part of Sheffield Doc/Fest Doc/Futures talent development scheme), where for the first time ever - I engaged with a room full of docu makers with an equal amount of passion for storytelling as me. An absolute pleasure and privilege to be surrounded by a bunch of caring and creative people all eager to share their ideas and give invaluable feedback. I felt at home in that realm, embraced and supported, ready to be nurtured and comfortable to talking about my projects and being open to future collaboration.

In the past (I've only ever attended short film festivals or events geared towards fictional film production), I've found networking events and festivals a bit excluding and cliquey - feeling like an outsider with no inclination to bother the commissioners/celebs/speakers or strike up artificial relationships with people who may or may not be able to further my career.

I've learnt to be an observer at these social events and act accordingly depending on the mood and my personal confidence to be brave enough to use my subversive schmoozing tactics. Sometimes I'm fairly successful, and the more natural and personable I am, the more receptive people are.

After the workshop in Newcastle, the twenty attendees were eligible to apply for an access-all-areas delegate pass, free accommodation, travel and mentoring for all five days of the Sheffield Doc/Fest this month. So fired up from my new learnings and new documentary contacts - I set about holing myself up in my bedroom/office (PJs being uniform of choice) for the entirety of the May bank holiday weekend in order to write two iFeatures2 submissions (5,000 words approx in total) along with my pitch for the festival pass. Not since my Masters dissertation have I written so much in such a short space of time.

I was in my element - thriving on the pressure/necessity to produce words... using the coffee hits and nervous energy/sleep deprivation to feed my creativity and test my capability to the limit.

I was ever-so-slightly-unhinged by the Tuesday deadline - having to write one of my partner's biography in the last half hour and find links to his work online certainly tested my shattered nerves - but by gosh, the sense of achievement as I hit 'submit' for the final time was well worth teetering on the edge for the love of story - or the distant yet vaguely realistic promise of documentary notoriety.

I leant a lot about myself that weekend - after I'd given myself a little time to reflect and come down from the adrenaline high. I learnt that I can perform under pressure, I'm willing to take risks - truly push the boundaries, and that I have a brilliant team of friends and collaborators to draw on when I can find funding for my next project.

Even if my two submissions don't get selected for further development, I've got two treatments to edit and improve on (giving them the time to breath and send out for feedback), a list of people I'd love to work with in the future and my name has been attached to two documents that may be being read by some influential honchos at Creative England which could somehow influence my career and get me noticed by the right people in the industry.

As if I wasn't already riding a high from all the writing, I then found out last week that I'd been one of the lucky 10 (selected from 40 applicants) to attend Sheffield Doc/Fest as a delegate. Over-bowled doesn't even begin to describe how privileged I feel. It couldn't be happening at a more poignant time, when I'm just brimming with ideas and passion for documentary. So eager to prove my dedication and determination to become a feature documentary producer/director.

I know I still have much to learn and that I really need to develop my director's 'vision', but this opportunity will undoubtedly give me that all-important push in the right direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

must check XKXtIhxB [URL=http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/]gucci outlet online[/URL] for more CBrLgZnX [URL=http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/ ] http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

purchase JwfdbCsw [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/]designer inspired bags[/URL] at my estore nsXPQmqv [URL=http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ ] http://www.cheapdesigner--handbags.weebly.com/ [/URL]