Wednesday 10 January 2007

Dissertation Drama

So it was back to school yesterday, all bright-eyed and bushy tailed. What? Ok, that was a lie. It was great to catch up with all my chums, but there’s so much to do over the next week or so that it was hard to give my full attention to anything socially related. I got all the Xmas homework in on time, but the daunting task of finding a work placement somewhere I really want to go is proving to be a niggle that won’t stop wiggling around in my brain.

I had my first MA proposal tutorial today, and I'm relieved to have had some feedback. There is a lot of research I need to do to decide whether or not producing my radio play is viable. I’ve got to look at hiring actors, securing a technician, finding out if the Media centre is open during the summer and looking into sound effects and if the scale of the play is too big. Considering it crosses continents and engages quite a few characters, I think quite a few alterations will need to be made.

I should be securing Paul Dodgson (freelance radio producer) as my supervisor; so hopefully, I will have an expert director and producer to work with. I am determined to see this project through, even if I only record the first act. I want to have a script that stands alone, and a play that reflects my goals. I don’t think I’m going to have enough money to hire actors, but I know a few willing and able thespians that might oblige (for free, or a for a few pints).

I’m looking forward to Bill’s session tomorrow, I always feel most creative and inspired on a Thursday. For the Xmas homework I adapted The Tempest into a modern gangster thriller. I got so involved in it; I had to write the entire story, which amounted to over three thousand words. It goes a little something like this:

Prospero is banished on an island by the mafia because his best friend (Alonzo) thinks he’s muscling in on his territory. Miranda and Prospero meet Ariel, a gibbering fool, with no memory. (Didn’t know his name, so named himself after detergent box washed up on the island.) Ten years pass, Miranda blossoms into a beautiful young teenager. Caliban arrives on the island, undetected. (Sent by Alonzo to keep track on their activities.) Caliban is a hideous thug, deliriously enthralled by Miranda. He attempts to rape her, Ariel intervenes and saves Miranda.

Caliban warns him that Alonzo and his mob are coming to kill Prospero, and they prepare their attack. Alonzo, Ferdinand, Antonio and Stephano come ashore and Caliban alerts Alonzo of Prospero’s where abouts. Alonzo wants to ask forgiveness from his wronged friend. But unaware of this change of heart, Prospero is still intensely angry for Alonzo’s deception, and he kills him.

Miranda falls in love with Ferdinand and he hides her in the boat to take her back to New York. Caliban kills both of them in a frenzied fit of jealous rage. Then persuades Stephano and Antonio to kill Prospero, so they can take over Alonzo’s gang title. In the meantime, Ariel finds the dead bodies and swears revenge.

The show down:
Prospero is killed; Ariel finds his supply of gunpowder, boards the boat with Caliban hot on his heels. As Ariel blows himself and the boat out of the water, the traitors remain stranded on the island.

Who said The Tempest had to remain a romantic comedy? Come on, be honest - it was gagging for a splash of blood and some treachery!