Wednesday 27 June 2007

FASHIONISTA SISTA

I’ve just sent off a pitch to The Ecologist, a profile idea for a piece on my rising star fashionista sista. Since my last entry, Lilli has been offered freelance work from River Island, one of her garments has been selected to be sold at Selfridges, and some more of her work is being shown at a graduate design show, again, in London.

It’s mad how much interest her design work and ethics has attracted. How many twenty-two year olds can say that the leading fashion houses in the UK have approached them before they’ve even received their degree certificate? I don’t know any! She can play them to her advantage, demanding good, ethical practice for her services. The angle for my profile (if it’s accepted) is that Lilli is going against the gain of the industry to show that fashion can be ecologically friendly and still elegant and profitable.

She is adamant that she will not accept freelance work from any corporate companies unless they agree to her work ethic of sourcing organic yarns and natural dyes made in the UK by people paid more than the minimum wage. She also insists that some profits should go to charities or community projects. A brave step for a young graduate, but one that she hopes will make a difference to production in the UK fashion industry.

I’m looking forward to writing about her triumphs, and if The Ecologist doesn’t take it…well, there will be other outlets. It would be illogical not to push her profile at this stage, and I’m so close to her that I’m practically her PA! Maybe she’ll employ me when she hits the big time.

I’ve got another prospective interviewed lined up with an actor called Nicholas Boulton. He’s my next-door neighbours son, and he’s just been paid a ridiculous amount of money to play the lead villain in a Scandinavian film called Arne. He’s also had a part in Doctor Who, and regularly lends his voice to afternoon plays on BBC Radio 4. He’s a rising star, and apparently he’s very popular with the ladies! He’s living in Brighton, so I’m going to email him after I’ve got the first draft of my script in hand.

This time next week, I’ll be hob-knobbing with the film industry in Cheltenham, can’t wait…it’s pitching time again.

No comments: