Sunday 18 May 2008

Props Away!

Just had quite an exhausting day making props for Pernickety. I've taken it upon myself to make the sign for the guest house and paint the reception desk that my dad has kindly amended for the purpose of the film. I had a brilliant meeting with Alex at the end of last week, and it looks as though we've rectified our location issues fairly painlessly.

To avoid problems finding an exterior that matches our other two locations, we're going to use the rather grand drive way to my Grandma's house, where we are shooting most of the film. We're going to have three of the six shooting days there, which is ace because the house is in a quiet part of Wellington and we'll have a lot of free roam due to my Gran's relaxed attitude to the production. She may even make sandwiches for the crew! We can only hope!

Most of our crew is assembled now, and the Alex is busy making a dolly... I've got a few more bits for Gordon's wardrobe to find, and the sign to finish, but on the whole, I'm feeling pretty happy about how organised we are. I attended a meeting for another short production that is being produced through the web of Engine Room freelancers on Thursday, Josh (DOP) asked me if I'd like a small speaking part in it! Ever-so slightly flabbergasted, I said yes, because I need to do more things that challenge me, and I think it will be beneficial to see the production from an actors point of view.

The scene I'm require for involves me serving two professional actors (Sharon Duce and Peter McGowan) at a supermarket checkout. They're a troubled couple, and Peter's character makes a bit of an idiot out of himself in front of his wife, other customers and me... I'm trying to learn my lines, but I know I'll forget them as soon as I get in front of the camera. But, I guess that's the beauty of film, you can do loads of takes and still get it wrong... and then they can re-cut it in the edit! Magic!

I'm so glad to be having so much creative control over Pernickety, it's great to see it though with such a lovely bunch of people who are all doing this in the name of art. It's crazy to think that the only money I've put towards this project has gone on secondhand props and actors expenses! I think I've spent a total of £90 so far... I think I read in Empire earlier that most of the up-coming blockbusters are being made for upwards of $35 million, which is just absolutely ludicrous...

I'll post some pics of the work I've done today on the props... rather proud really. I know the sign will only get approximately four seconds of screen time, but it's got to look spot on, or otherwise some wise-ass will no-doubt laugh about it... and that would be heartbreaking!

No comments: