Wednesday 24 August 2011

Boys In Blue Get a Makeover

Can't believe I didn't notice this on Saturday but the Police Station in Bristol (at the end of Nelson Street) has had an understated yet rather uplifting makeover. The building itself is (I'm guessing) Georgian or Victorian - quite imposing with a pollution-tarnished layer of dirt covering the ocher-yellow stone walls.

A very different form of graffiti has been employed here. Using reverse graffiti (cleaning away dirt to create a 'negative' style imprint), the artist has embellished the entrance to the police station with classic tattoo emblems like swallows and hearts adorned with the words "More Love" and "Mum". There's an artist called Moose (Paul Curtis) who I think coined the style... I wonder if this is his work? With there being so many world-renowned graffiti artists painting up the city last weekend, I suppose it wouldn't be such a crazy assumption.

The columns of the two grand street lamps that stand either side of the doorway have been fitted with knitted blue and white stockings - under closer examination, the knit reveals a complicated geometric pattern. Beautiful when properly observed but subtle enough not to upset the tone of the 'establishment'.

The piece de resistance has to be the sign hanging above the doorway. White lettering on blue background, it reads, "Holding Out for a Hero". I laughed out loud.

Again, subtle enough for most people to miss due to the traditional police colour way - but somehow the sign is saying: we, the police - we're fun. We can have a laugh too. I would love to know who came up with the concept. Was it the 'See No Evil' organisers? I should think so - I can't imagine the super-intendant of the station suddenly thinking... hummmm, today guys, we're going to be ironic. Today, we're going to give the people of Bristol a giggle. Today we're going to make reference to Bonnie Tyler's camp pop anthem.

Jokes. I need to buy myself a digital camera - words alone do not do this justice.



No comments: